Sunday, May 23, 2010
mp3DirectCut is a small, fast, and highly efficient tool for editing MP3 audio files. You can remove parts, change the volume, split files or copy regions to new files, all without the need to decompress your MP3 into PCM/WAV. This saves work, encoding time and disk space with no quality losses.
mp3DirectCut is a fast and extensive audio editor and recorder for compressed mp3. You can directly cut, copy, paste or change the volume with no need to decompress your files for audio editing. This saves encoding time and preserves the original quality, because nothing will be re-encoded. The built in recorder creates mp3 on the fly from your audio input. Using Cue sheets, pause detection or Auto cue you can easily divide long files.
* Non-destructive cut, copy, paste
* Volume change, fade, normalize, pause detection
* mp3 recording with ACM or Lame encoder
* Fast mp3 visualization and easy navigation
* Supports Layer 2 (dvd/dvb audio)
* ID3v1.1 tag editor · ID3v2 tag keeping
* Cue Sheet support
* Auto cue (track dividing by time values)
* Track splitting with filename and tag creation
* Trim · Crop · Fast play · Loop play
* VU meter, bitrate visualization
* High speed recorder · Command line usage
* Unicode support
Authors’ website: http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html
Sunday, May 16, 2010
I consider myself as pretty knowledgeable advanced computer user. However, the unrecoverable data failure can happen, no matter what. Working with Hard Drive manufacturing, I am aware on how many reclamation have even the best vendors, using the most advanced technologies. The only solution is backup, backup, and double backup for the most valuable data.
SpiderOak is a company offering you online space and software for secure and safe backup of your data on the company servers. Its philosophy on pricing is simple - backup, synchronize, share, access, and store as much as you like and they will you only for the amount of storage used. However, I would not present this application in the Software Freebies blog, if they would not offer an ultimate free solution for its users. Indeed, you can backup, synchronize, and share data across all of your computers, external drives, and/or network volumes - from anywhere and everywhere, using the 2 GBs free space- for life - enjoying all of the features SpiderOak has to offer.
- Backup, Sync, Share, Access & Storage
- Multi Platform Support - Mac, Windows, Linux Compatible
- 100% Zero-knowledge Privacy
- Add any number of computers at NO additional cost
- Storage & time saving De-Duplication
- Perpetual Deleted File & Historical Version Storage
- 10-15 Times Faster than traditional backup solutions
- Wholly Fault-Tolerant Design
Within a single SpiderOak account, you may use the SpiderOak application on as many computers as you would like, backing up as much or as little data as you need. SpiderOak also supports selecting external hard drives, removable devices, and network volumes for backup. SpiderOak does intense compression and de-duplication within a backup set (even across multiple computers.) Whenever new data is stored, SpiderOak tries hard to store it in terms of references to existing data blocks. SpiderOak is therefore able to retain all previous versions of files using very little extra space. Any duplicated data between however many computers you backup with SpiderOak does not take any extra space.
Desktop client download (choose your platform): https://spideroak.com/download/
Video Tutorial on how to setup your account for the first time:
Friday, May 7, 2010
CCleaner, Defraggler, Recuva. If you like these excellent well-respected freeware applications from Piriform, you should take a look on the newly release application from them - Speccy. Piriform does not have tons of utilities under development, but each of the titles it has, becomes a small gem for the free software community, competing with commercial applications on all grounds.
What is Speccy for?
Speccy is an advanced System Information tool for your PC. It will give you detailed statistics on every piece of hardware in your computer, including CPU, Motherboard, RAM, Graphics Cards, Hard Disks, Optical Drives, Audio support. Additionally Speccy shows the temperatures of your different internal components, so you can easily see if there's a problem with overheating.
Why do you need Speccy?
1. At first glance, Speccy may seem like software for system administrators and power users. It certainly is, but Speccy can also help normal users in everyday computing life.
2. If you need to add more memory to your system, for example, you can check how many memory slots your computer has and what memory's already installed. Then you can go out and buy the right type of memory to add on or replace what you've already got.
3. If you're going to be selling your PC, you can use Speccy to quickly list out the components. Or, if you're buying a PC, you can use Speccy to check that the computer has what the label says it has.
4. Also, Speccy comes in convenient for support. If you're on the phone with technical support and they want to know what video card you have installed, there's no need to hunt around Windows. Speccy has all the information on one easy-to-understand screen.
Ease of use
To use the program, you do not have to be a computer guru. It is extremely easy to use – as soon as you start the program, it will inspect your hardware in a matter of seconds and give you a summary of all the major components in your computer and the operating system installed.
If you need more information about any of the listed components, click on its link in the left pane and you will see all the information that Speccy has gathered.
You can choose to display or hide the navigation menu and you can also save and load a snapshot of your current computer configuration. The program displays the temperature of your hard drives and your CPU, including the average temperature and the temperature of each core if you have a dual processor. All this information can help you determine if you have any hardware problems, such as non-working CPU fan, and can save you countless online searches that you have to otherwise do in order to find out what make is one or other of your computer components. You can also install and run the program on a computer that you are about to purchase in order to find out if it has the hardware that the seller claims.
Speccy is a freeware and works on Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Vista and Windows 7.
Portable version of Speccy does not require installation on your Hard Drive, and you can run it from USB external storage.
Download page: http://www.piriform.com/speccy/builds