Friday, October 28, 2011
LockHunter is a free tool to delete files blocked by something you do not know. It is useful for fighting against malware, and other programs that are blocking files without a reason. Unlike other similar tools it deletes files into the recycle bin so you may restore them if deleted by mistake.
Freeware is developed by Russian software development team Crystal Rich Ltd.
* Shows processes locking a file or folder.
* Allows unlocking, deleting, copying or renaming a locked file.
* Allows killing locking process.
* Allows removing locking processes from hard drive.
* Integrates in to Explorer menu.
* It deletes files into the recycle bin, so you may restore them if deleted by mistake.
* Supports both 32 and 64bit Windows.
Wednesday, October 19, 2011
There are several issues you may surface when you try to backup your DVDs. First of all, some disks are copy-protected, and embedded code will not allow you to copy it through common ways to prevent illegal distribution of the recorded media. But, if the DVD is yours, and you just want to preserve its copy in case the original media is damaged, you are stuck. DVDShrink – free software utility – will help you to remove the annoying protection. The second problem is related to the DVD size. You may just not be able to fit it to your blank DVD because there is not enough space. Definitely, compressing the disk may cause the certain quality losses, but in most cases, it cannot be even noticed. DVDShrink will assist you to perform the DVD compression as well to the certain degree.
If you have have the latest version of the DVD burning software from Nero, DVDShrink will also burn your backup DVD right away. If you already possess alternative burning software and prefer to stick with it, then you can still use DVD Shrink. The output from DVDShrink can be saved as files on your hard drive, which you can then burn with software of your choice.
As it was noticed already, most commercial DVD titles are encrypted, which prevents you from either copying them to your hard drive, or if you manage to do so, being able to play the resulting files. DVDShrink overcomes this problem with built-in decryption algorithms.
DVDShrink also allows you to re-author your DVD. You can make your own compilation from one or more source DVDs, or select only the parts of a DVD which you intend to view, thus preserving more space on your backup for the highest quality viewing.
Developers’ website: http://www.dvdshrink.org/what_en.php
Detailed guides on how to install and use the software:
- Doom9 has written an excellent DVDShrink Guide which covers pretty much everything you can do with DVDShrink.
- Check out ddlooping's interactive guides at dvdshrink.info.
- mrbass has written an excellent guide with lots of screenshots at mrbass.org.
Wednesday, October 5, 2011
Whenever possible, as you may noticed, I am trying to use portable software utilities. Stored on the portable USB thumb disk, they can be shared among multiple computers, and serve as mobile computer monitoring, troubleshooting, and repair toolkit, which is always with you.
In this post, I would like to present All-In-One package NirLauncher, consisting of more than 100 small, but useful utilities, compiled by Nir Sofer (Israel), one of the most respected young programmers in the World of the portable freeware design. All the programs in the package were developed for NirSoft Web site during the last few years, and have been updated in the last 1000 days.
- NirLauncher can be used from USB flash drive without need of any installation.
- NirLauncher and all the utilities in the package are completely freeware, without any Spyware/Adware/Malware.
- NirLauncher package includes variety of tools that you may need for your daily computer use, including utilities to recover lost passwords, to monitor your network, to view and extract cookies, cache, and other information stored by your Web browser, to search files in your system, and more...
- For every utility in the package, you can easily run it, view the help file, or jump to the Web page of the utility.
- When using it from USB flash drive, the configuration of every utility is saved into .cfg file on the flash drive.
- On x64 systems, NirLauncher automatically run the x64 version of the utility, when there is a separated x64 version.
- NirLauncher also allows adding more software packages in additional to the main NirSoft package.
NirLauncher works on any version of Windows, starting from Windows 2000 and up to Windows 7. NirLauncher also works on x64 systems. Some the NirSoft utilities have a separated version for x64, and NirLauncher automatically run them when you're in x64 system.
In order to start using NirLauncher, simply extract all files in the package into your flash drive, or any other disk you want. You must extract the package with full folder names, so all NirSoft utilities will be add into NirSoft Subfolder. After you extracted the package, simply run the executable file - NirLauncher.exe
Due to the character of some utilities in the package, you may experience certain False Positive issues – your Antivirus program may display false alerts, saying that the utilities are infected with Trojan/Virus/Malware. Based on my personal experience, and the experts reviews, there is no danger in any of the parts of the software, and you can simply disregard warnings if appear.
List of Utilities with brief description
The following utilities are included in NirLauncher package. This list is automatically updated when a new NirLauncher package is released.
1. AlternateStreamView - Find all hidden alternate streams stored in the file system.
2. AltStreamDump - Dumps the list of NTFS alternate streams.
3. AppCrashView - Displays the details of all application crashes occurred in your system.
4. Asterisk Logger - Reveals the passwords stored behind the asterisks ('***') boxes.
5. AdapterWatch - Displays useful information about your network adapters.
6. ActiveXHelper - View essential information about ActiveX components installed on your computer.
7. BatteryInfoView - Displays battery information on laptops and netbooks.
8. BlueScreenView - Show information about blue screen crashes occurred in your system.
9. BluetoothCL - Show bluetooth devices list.
10. BluetoothView - Monitors the activity of Bluetooth devices around you.
11. BulkFileChanger - Change date/time/attributes of multiple files.
12. BulletsPassView - Reveals the passwords stored behind the bullets.
13. ChromeCacheView - Chrome Browser Cache Viewer.
14. ChromeCookiesView - Alternative to the standard internal cookies viewer of Google Chrome.
15. ChromeHistoryView - View the browsing history of Chrome Web browser.
16. ChromePass - Password recovery tool for Google Chrome Web browser.
17. CleanAfterMe - Clean files and Registry values in your system.
18. Clipboardic - Small and simple clipboard manager.
19. CurrPorts - Displays the list of all currently opened TCP/UDP ports on your computer.
20. CurrProcess - Displays the list of all processes currently running on your system.
21. CSVFileView - CSV/Tab-delimited file viewer and converter.
22. CustomizeIE - Add/delete toolbar buttons and menu items in Internet Explorer.
23. CustomExplorerToolbar - Add Copy/Cut/Paste buttons to the Explorer toolbar of Windows 7.
24. DeviceIOView - Watch the data transfer between a software or service and a device driver.
25. DevManView - Alternative to the standard Device Manager of Windows.
26. Dialupass - Recovers Dial-Up passwords in all versions of Windows.
27. DiskCountersView - Show disk drive read/write counters.
28. DiskSmartView - Retrieves S.M.A.R.T information from IDE/SATA disks.
29. DLL Export Viewer - Lists DLL exported functions and their memory addresses - for debugging.
30. DNSDataView - Retrieve the DNS records (MX, NS, A, SOA) of the specified domains.
31. DomainHostingView - Displays extensive information about a domain.
32. DotNetResourcesExtract - Extract embedded resources from .NET applications.
33. DownTester - Test your Internet download speed.
34. DriveLetterView - View and change drive letter assignments.
35. DriverView - Displays the list of all device drivers currently loaded on your system.
36. FastResolver - Resolves multiple host names into IP addresses/MAC Addresses and vice versa.
37. FavoritesView - Displays the list of all your Favorites/bookmarks in a single page.
38. FileTypesMan - Alternative to the 'File Types' manager of Windows.
39. FirefoxDownloadsView - Displayed the list of downloaded files in Firefox.
40. FlashCookiesView - View Flash cookies stored in your computer.
41. GDIView - Displays the list of GDI handles opened by every process.
42. HashMyFiles - Calculate the MD5/SHA1 hashes of your files.
43. HeapMemView - View the content of all memory blocks allocated in the heap.
44. HTMLAsText - Converts HTML documents to simple text files.
45. HtmlDocEdit - Simple HTML designer/editor.
46. IconsExtract - Extract icons and cursors from executbale files (EXE, DLL, OCX, CPL, etc.)
47. IECacheView - List all files currently stored in the cache of Internet Explorer.
48. IECookiesView - Displays the cookies that Internet Explorer stores on your computer.
49. IEHistoryView - Displays the list of Web sites that you visited with IE Web browser.
50. IE PassView - Recover passwords stored by Internet Explorer (Versions 4.0 - 8.0).
51. InsideClipboard - Displays the content of all formats stored in the clipboard.
52. InstalledCodec - List Codec drivers and DirectShow filters installed on your system.
53. IPInfoOffline - View country information about IP addresses.
54. IPNetInfo - Easily find all available information about IP address.
55. LiveContactsView - View the details of all contacts in your Windows Live Messenger.
56. LSASecretsDump - Dump the LSA secrets from the Registry.
57. LSASecretsView - Displays the list of all LSA secrets stored in the Registry on your computer.
58. MACAddressView - MAC address lookup tool.
59. Mail PassView - Recovers email passwords.
60. MonitorInfoView - Displays essential information about your monitor.
61. MozillaCacheView - List all files currently stored in the cache of Firefox/Mozilla browser.
62. MozillaHistoryView - Displays the list of visited Web sites in Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape Web browsers.
63. MessenPass - Recovers the passwords of instant messenger programs.
64. MUICacheView - Edit/delete MUICache items in your system.
65. MetarWeather - Decode METAR weather reports, and display them in a weather report table.
66. MyEventViewer - MyEventViewer is an alternative to the standard event viewer of Windows.
67. MyLastSearch - View your latest searches with Google, Yahoo, and MSN.
68. MyUninstaller - Alternative utility to the standard Add/Remove applet of Windows.
69. MozillaCookiesView - Alternative to the 'Cookie Manager' provided by Netscape and Mozilla.
70. Network Password Recovery - Recover network passwords on Windows XP/2003/Vista.
71. NetResView - Displays the list of all network resources on your LAN.
72. NetRouteView - GUI alternative to the standard route utility of Windows.
73. NetworkTrafficView - Displays network traffic statistics on your network adapter.
74. NirCmd - Do many useful tasks from command-line.
75. NK2Edit - Full NK2 (AutoComplete) editor for Microsoft Outlook.
76. NTFSLinksView - View the list of NTFS symbolic links/junctions in selected folder.
77. OfficeIns - Displays the details of all installed Microsoft Office add-ins on your computer.
78. OpenedFilesView - Displays the list of all opened files on your system.
79. OpenWithView - Disable/enable items in the 'Open With' dialog-box of Windows.
80. OperaCacheView - Cache viewer for Opera Web browser.
81. OperaPassView - Password recovery tool for Opera Web browser.
82. OutlookAttachView - Extract multiple attachments from Outlook.
83. OutlookStatView - Display a general statistics of your Outlook emails.
84. PasswordFox - View passwords stored in Firefox Web browser.
85. PCAnywhere PassView - View passwords for PCAnywhere.
86. PingInfoView - Ping multiple host names and IP addresses.
87. ProcessActivityView - Show the file activity for selected process.
88. ProcessThreadsView - Displays information about all threads of the process that you choose.
89. ProduKey - Displays the CD-Keys of MS-Office/Windows installed on your computer.
90. PstPassword - Recover lost password of Outlook PST file.
91. Remote Desktop PassView - Reveals the password stored by Microsoft Remote Desktop utility.
92. RecentFilesView - Display the list of recently opened files.
93. RegDllView - RegDllView is a small utility that displays the list of all registered files.
94. RegFileExport - Export offline Registry file to .reg file.
95. RegFromApp - Creates .reg file according to Registry changes made by application.
96. RegScanner - Scan and find values in the Registry.
97. ResourcesExtract - Extract resources from dll/ocx/exe files.
98. RouterPassView - Recover passwords from router config file.
99. RunAsDate - Run a program with the specified date.
100. RunFromProcess - Run a program from another process that you choose.
101. SearchFilterView - View the search filters installed on your system.
102. SearchMyFiles - Alternative to the "Search For Files And Folders" module of Windows.
103. SeqDownload - Download sequence of images from the Web, and create animation.
104. ServiWin - Displays the list of installed drivers and services on your system.
105. ShellBagsView - Displays the list of all folder settings saved by Windows.
106. ShellMenuNew - Disable/Enable items in the New submenu of Explorer.
107. ShellExView - Displays the details of shell extensions installed on your computer.
108. ShortcutsMan - Lists all shortcuts on your desktop/start menu.
109. ShellMenuView - Disable/enable static menu items in context menu of Explorer.
110. SiteShoter - Save a screenshot of any Web page into a file.
111. SkypeLogView - View log files created by Skype.
112. SmartSniff - Captures TCP/IP packets, view the captured data as sequence of conversations.
113. SniffPass - Capture the passwords that pass through your network adapter.
114. SocketSniff - Watch the Windows Sockets (WinSock) activity of the selected process.
115. SpecialFoldersView - Easily jump to special folders in your system.
116. SysExporter - Grab the data stored in list-views, tree-views, list boxes, and combo boxes.
117. TableTextCompare - Compare tab-delimited or comma-delimited (csv) files.
118. URLProtocolView - View/disable/enable the URL protocols installed on your system.
119. URLStringGrabber - Grab URL strings of Web sites from Internet Explorer.
120. USBDeview - Lists all installed USB devices that you previously used.
121. UserAssistView - This utility decrypts and displays the list of all UserAssist entries.
122. UserProfilesView - View user profiles information on your system.
123. VideoCacheView - Extract Web site video files from the cache of your Web browser.
124. VNCPassView - Recover the passwords stored by the VNC tool.
125. Volumouse - Adjust the volume of your speaker with the wheel of your mouse.
126. WakeMeOnLan -Turn on computers remotely by sending Wake-on-LAN (WOL) packet.
127. WebBrowserPassView - Recover lost passwords from your Web browser.
128. WebCookiesSniffer - Captures Web site cookies and displays them in a simple table
129. WebSiteSniffer - Capture Web site files and save them on your hard drive.
130. WebVideoCap - Capture Flash Video files and RTSP streams, watching them in a Web browser.
131. WhatInStartup - Disable/enable/delete programs that are loaded at Windows startup.
132. WhatIsHang - Get information about Windows software that hangs.
133. WhoisCL - Get WHOIS information about a registered domain from command-line.
134. WhoisThisDomain - Get information about a registered domain from WHOIS server.
135. WhosIP - Find all available information about an IP address from command-line.
136. WinCrashReport - Displays a report about crashed Windows application.
137. WinFontsView - Display sample of all fonts installed on your system.
138. WinLister - This utility displays the list of opened windows on your system.
139. WinPrefetchView - View the Prefetch files (.pf) stored in your system.
140. WirelessKeyDump - Dumps the list of all wireless keys stored by Windows.
141. WirelessKeyView - Recovers lost wireless network keys (WEP/WPA) stored in your computer.
142. WirelessNetConsole - View wireless networks information (console application).
143. WirelessNetView - Monitor the activity of wireless networks around you.
144. Wireless Network Watcher - Shows who is connected to your wireless network.
145. WinUpdatesList - Displays the list of all Windows updates (Service Packs and Hotfixes).
Developer’s website: http://launcher.nirsoft.net/
Compressed package is only 11 MB!!! Highly recommended for advanced users and simply recommended for all others!