Windows Explorer capabilities and functionality is mildly said just poor. Therefore, there are so many alternative utilities are developed by the software enthusiasts. Here is a descent replacement. It is freeware, and it is portable.
Multi Commander is a multi-tabbed file manager that is an alternative to the standard Windows Explorer. It uses the very popular and efficient dual-panel layout.
The utility has everything you need in your daily works with files to make your work fast and efficient. It has all the standard features like a file manager has like copy, move, rename, view. But Multi Commanders big strength is the special features that allow you to do advanced task with ease. Like Auto-unpacking , Auto-sorting , Browse inside archives, registry and FTP, Search for file, View files and pictures and the Scripting support let you automate many task. And it allows you to do everything from the keyboard using shortcut so you can work fast and efficient.
* Dual Panel
* Commander styled keyboard/mouse setup
* Windows Explorer styled keyboard/mouse setup
* Customizable colors
* Customizable keyboard
* Customizable mouse
* Clickable crumbbar
* Command line field for quick commands
* Quick launch bar
* Button panel
* Log window
File System Browser
* Fast Selection/Deselection of multiple files using filters
* Set view filter to minimize files that should be shown.
* Go to next/previous sibling folder with ctrl+pgup/pgdn
* Load/Save current selection to memory or file
* Restore previous copy/move selection with num+/
* Compare panel and select Duplicates, Missing, Newest
* Hotpath to fast go to user defined paths
* Back/Forward to go to location in previously visited
* History button to show the latest location you been at for fast access
* Command line command to fast go to path
* Edit path field to change path
* Disconnect USB/remote device from inside Multi Commander
* Quick search window to do inplace search for file/folders
* Show files and folder in detailed or list or thumbnail list mode
* Browse local hard drives
* Browse network servers/shares
* Plug-ins expands the filesystem.
* FTP (with SSL/TLS Support)
* Browse the Registry as a filesystem
* Browse archives (Zip, 7-Zip, Rar, Tar, gz, bz2 )
* Show files properties as columns
* All file operations are run in background. Do not hang/block the main window.
* Delete files and folder
* Delete to recycle bin
* Delete files inside archives (e.g. Zip)
* Copy, Move, Rename, and Multi-Rename
Copy / Move File Operations
* Filters to include or exclude files and folders.
* Tweak read/write strategy (buffers, chunks, read/write option, Async/sync, ... )
* Keep broken/unfinished files.
* Keep file and folder date
* Copy/Move Plugins like Auto Sort, Auto Unpack, Content copy
* Unpack multiple archive formats (Zip, 7Zip, Rar, tar, gz, bz2, tar.gz, tar.bz2 )
* Unpack filter
* Unpack archives into individual folders
* Pack (Zip, 7Zip, tar,gz,bz2, tar.gz, tar.bz2 )
* Using filters
* Pack folders into individual files
* Can view files of any size with minimal memory usage.
* Line numbers
* Word wrap, both dynamic and fixed
* Auto load if file is changed.
* Customize colors and background
* View as ASCII, UTF8, Unicode, Binary, Hex
* Find substring in text
* Copy selection to clipboard or save to file
* Clickable web links
* Keyboard navigation ( ctrl+n )
Tools / Misc
* Find opened/locked files. Find what process has a specific file open.
* Change the date and time of a folder so it gets the time of the latest file in that folder.
* Change file attribute, date and time
* Show folder size in file system browser.
* Rename multiple files by replace substring in name
* Run Multi Commander from Portable/USB device
* Backup and restore of Multi Commander settings
* Automatically updates Multi Commander to latest version
* Fully portable. Can be installed on USB device. Will not save anything on the host computer.
* Send filename with or without full path to clipboard
* Send comma separated list of all selected files to the clipboard
* Image information in clipboard (screen capture) can be save as JPG/PNG/BMP with ctrl+v (paste)
* Text information in clipboard can be save to text file with ctrl+v (paste)
* Convert text file to/from Unix/Windows/Mac format
* Reformat or compact xml files.
* Base64 encode/decode files.
* Wizard that helps you create Junctions\Symlinks\Hardlinks
* File system browser will flow links.
* Shows Link target in file system browser.
* Take ownership of files/folders
* Remove file permission for all users on files/folders
* Add permission to user/group for files/folders
* Remove ID3 meta data from mp3
* Export ID3 data to text file.
* Show MP3 ID3 Information
* Show ID3 data as columns in the file system browser
* Show aggregated genre column of folders (will scan 3 folders down)
* Convert pictures to JPEG/PNG/BMP
* Rotate/Flip pictures
* Auto rotate pictures according to EXIF information
* Lossless rotation of jpg
* Preserve file dates.
* Strip EXIF Information from pictures
* Export EXIF information from pictures to text file
* Adjust EXIF Date information in pictures by changing the time -/+ X minutes.
* Adjust Pictures file date to the date of the EXIF date information
* Show EXIF data column in the file system browser
* GPS EXIF column is clickable and will show location in Google map.
* Show Movie Information like rating, genre (and more) as columns on movie files
* Get Movie Information from IMDB and RottenTomato
* Exclude folders from search
* Search by looking for file content, file attributes, file size, file time
* Limit subfolder search levels.
* Minimize you search result by searching in the result.
* Remove items or group of items from search result with context menu
* Save/load search criteria
* Save/load search result
* Delete/Copy/Move/View from search result
* Multiple search tabs
* Verify .SFV (crc32), MD5 files
* Create SFV / MD5
* Verify CRC/MD5/SHA1 code against a file.
* Option to rename all bad files to *.bad
* Option to delete all bad files
* Auto start verify if double click on .sfv file in the file system browser
Plug-ins and extensions
* File System plug-ins (e.g., Registry, FTP, Zip, Rar)
* File Properties plug-in (for showing file properties in columns), (E.g. Showing EXIF or ID3 Meta information)
* Copy/Move File Operations Plug-ins (E.g. Auto Unpack, Auto sorting files)
* Application extensions. Expand Multi Commander with new utils/tools.
And much more
Download Page: http://multicommander.com/downloads