Offline Maps vs. Online Maps
Nearly all mobile devices are constantly connected to the Internet. 3G, Wifi, LTE and 4G have become standards for smartphones. This is great for many applications such as email and web browsing, and is pretty acceptable for navigation as well. But purely online map can be a problem in a certain cases, actually in all cases, where the data is not available. There are particular Google Maps tricks on how to work with online cached maps offline, but they are not reliable, and you still need data once a while at least.
Also, online map applications requiring a constant data connection to download map data, may quickly generate large phone bills when you are roaming in another country. Navfree apps is different, it stores all the map data on-board the phone or tablet itself, meaning you don’t need to use your Internet connection to navigate saving you money when you are traveling.
You can download safety camera warnings for almost all countries the maps are supplied for. Warnings are displayed on the navigation screen and an audio alert is given when you are approaching a camera. Having them on-board makes driving safer for you.
Among additional positive features of the free navigation utility are:
· Visual route prompts - have been designed to be clear and readable even on smaller phone screens.
· Next Turn Instructions - The ‘Next Turn Diagram’ is clearly displayed for you, with the distance to the turn helping you easily navigate. Street names are accompanied with route numbers where possible.
· Route numbers - are pronounced together with the turning instruction to match signposting on the road
· Route Guidance - When driving through complicated junctions sometime turn diagrams are not enough. The route guidance is designed to display the turning sequence directly on crystal clear maps, and even auto-zoom on the junction as you approach to make it easier for you to see the correct route. You will also hear audio prompts while approaching a turning, thus giving you time to take the right lane.
· Intelligent Night mode - Driving in the evening is not easy with strong glare from navigation systems, this is why we have introduced intelligent night mode, which will automatically switch the maps into low-glare night mode, depending on sunset for your area and switch back to day mode in the morning.
· Voice guidance - is one of the most important features of any GPS navigation system. It will not annoy you with endless chatter, but gives you short, clear instructions for the upcoming turn. If you are listening to the music, the app will gently fade out music while playing instructions and fade it in afterwards. Music controls are easily accessible from map view, so you don‘t need to interrupt navigation to switch between songs or start/pause music. If your car is equipped with a Bluetooth phone adapter navigation instructions will be played via car speakers.
· Online Search - Google and Bing online search is another great feature that removes limitation of static POIs stored on your device. Search results can be shown on map, you can calculate route and drive to them or store in favorites to visit later.
· POI Database - If you don‘t want to use data connection at all, you can use integrated POI search.
· Multiple platforms – Application is available for Android and iOS devices.
Developers’ website: http://www.navmii.com/gpsnavigation