Kantaris is a new (free and open-source) media player based on code from famous Videolan client (VLC) and Bass audio library. Kantaris has a graphical user interface similar to that of Windows Media Player, but possess more power and flexibility than the standard media player built in the Windows package.
* Plays almost all multimedia formats without the need for installing any separate codecs (supported formats AVI (DivX, Xvid, H264), MPEG, MGEG-AVC, WMV, MOV, MKV, FLV, MP3, WMA, OGG files, and more).
* Connects to an online subtitle database, finds subtitles that are a perfect fit to the played media.
* Plays RAR-archives without first extracting the media.
* Offers beautiful music visualizations.
* Plays DVDs and audio CDs.
* Portable version is available, not requiring the utility installation on your Hard Drive.
The latest version of Kantaris has a unique new feature which no other player presents. It is able to automatically detect character encoding of subtitles by analyzing the text. This means that you never have to manually set the character encoding again.
Author: Christofer Persson, Sweden