What is RIOT?
Riot (Radical Image Optimization Tool) is a free image optimizer that will let you to visually adjust compression parameters while keeping minimum file size. It uses with a side by side (dual view) or single view interface to compare the original with the optimized image in real time. It has a simple and easy to use interface where you will be able to control compression, number of colors, metadata settings and much more, and select image format (JPG, GIF or PNG) for your output file.
How RIOT can help you?
Saving images for web/email/other media with the best compression ratio and quality is a difficult task if you don’t have the right tools. Choosing the right format then choosing the right parameters are the key factors of smaller files. Previewing the resulting image and the projected file size will help the user choose the best settings. This kind of image optimization software is often called “Save for web”.
RIOT key features:
* Open multiple graphic file formats by looking first at the magic number (it does not need file extension to recognize format) including support for uncommon images types (up to 128 BPP, integer and floating point. EX: hdr images, 16 bit grayscale, etc). Adaptive logarithmic tone mapping algorithm (Drago) used for HDR images.
* Save and optimize JPEG, GIF and PNG with a simple, clean user interface.
* Works in dual view: (original - optimized image) or single view (optimized image). Automatic preview of resulting image.
* In-place comparison function (alternatively display the original image over the optimized image to notice small pixel changes).
* Compress files to desired file size threshold.
* Fast processing (all is done in memory); see instant results including resulting file size.
* Decide if you want to keep metadata (comments, IPTC, Adobe XMP, EXIF profiles, ICC profiles). Unsupported metadata is removed.
* Transfer metadata between image formats (destination format must support them).
* Common tools: pan and zoom, rotate, flip.
* Resize image by using well known resample filters (ex: Lanczos3, Catmull Rom, Bicubic, and others).
* The compression and the results are comparable to those of commercial products.
Software is absolutely free and available as stand-alone executable (portable application).
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
What is RIOT?