bitRipper is FREE DVD to AVI conversion software that allows you to back-up your DVD's as AVI files on the hard drive. It can be used for simple and straightforward one-click ripping and allows to applied advanced features for conversion if needed. You can choose whether to use default configuration values or to set them manually.
There are all necessary settings available:
* Video and audio codecs configuration
* Video resolution and aspect ratio
* Sound track language and sound value normalization
* Variety of actions to be performed after the copying process is completed
* Includes 3rd party decryption module for CSS protected DVDs
Big advantage of bitRipper that it does not require a lot of hard drive space to copy all DVD content to the before converting to AVI, as the process is real-time on-the-fly, while copying data and writing it to AVI file is performed at the same time.
bitRipper was a commercial application, and it just recently became a freeware. However, it possesses the commercial quality of operations and has multiple features, usually not included in other free utilities:
* Ability to control the ripping process system priority
* Internal video bitrate calculator to fine-tune the compression level
* Authorization support for protected discs
* Episodical discs support (multiple DVD tracks containing multiple parts)
* Support of the most of video export formats including AVI, MPEG, DivX.
Direct download: http://www.bitripper.com/download.html
Note that the registration code is included on the page for your convenience to unlock all features.